Monday 16 September 2013

Factoring

LI simple factoring with algebraic equations

Okay, so the key point is that we are rearranging the terms inside the equation not getting rid of them. Basically this is not about solving the problem, finding out what the x, or a, or b actually is but condensing the equation down.

As he said you can always check it back.

Lets look through this example

  • Factor 3x – 12.
The things that are similar in the equations are, well, both numbers can be divided by 3. If you look at the 12 you know that 12 divided by 3 =4, and 3/3=1.

 So factor the 3 number out to the front:
      3x – 12 = 3(          )

      When I divided the "3" out of the "3x", I was left with only the "x" remaining. I'll put that "x" as my first term inside the parentheses:

          3x – 12 = 3(x         )

        When I divided the "3" out of the "–12", I left a "–4" behind, so I'll put that in the parentheses, too:
                          
          3x – 12 = 3(x – 4)

        This is my final answer:  3(x – 4)

      Warning: Be careful not to drop "minus" or "plus" signs when you factor.

      Okay try these examples

      Factor 7x – 7.

      Factor 8x - 16

      Factor 4x - 8y

      Factor 12y2 – 5y.

      Once completed, bring your work up and let me have a look and then you can create a poster sharing your learning for the algebra display wall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment